Thursday, January 9, 2014

#1 Ice Cream of 2013 & My Series of Unfortunate Events

Happy New Year 2014!!!

I have been horrible at updating this regularly, but I promise to be better this year! Why? Because it's on my resolutions list and that should insure I follow through with consistent blog entries. The one thing I have been consistent with in 2013 though is eating good food...

With that being said, I have found the best ice cream I have ever tasted in my entire life. Now all to this point, MILK had been the trendy ice cream parlor to go to in LA. Although I love those ice cream macarons with all my heart, I have found a new object of affection. Opening just last year, the Ice Cream Lab has become one of the best things to come out of 2013.

The Ice Cream Lab in Beverly Hills is absolutely a mouthful of happiness. Words cannot properly describe the euphoric sensations you will feel once that milky nitrogen ice hits your taste buds. I've tried most of the menu which boasts distinct flavors, but the shining star of the bunch is definitely the blue velvet. Ice Cream Lab concocts ice cream using liquid nitrogen to freeze natural ingredients into heavenly goodness. It's also really cool how they make the batches right in front of your eyes so it adds even more to an all around great food experience.

For you haters out there who think, "Ice cream is ice cream, we all scream for ice cream, so what difference can Ice Cream Lab really provide aside from your neighborhood ice cream truck?" I say to you all: You will scream!

Just kidding...

The first time I went to Ice Cream Lab, my friend driving was catching a big case of road rage, because mind you it is LA. Also we were coming from the Hollywood area but somehow ended up in Whittier before we finally arrived in Beverly Hills. Well let me tell you, as soon as he took a bite of that blue velvet, his eyes narrowed and his frown turned upside down. Til this day he swears Ice Cream Lab has some "special" happy powder ingredient. (But we won't comment any further on this.)

I hope you as the reader have come to the serious conclusion that ice cream is a way of life. You see, last year in 2013 I went through a series of unfortunate events:
  • I cracked my new iPhone 5 screen...after only 2 months of using it.
  • I lost my ID and debit card.
  • I received my first speeding ticket...and the cops made me take the eye ball test and "walk in a line" procedure. #thuglife (Just kidding, I listen to TSwift)
  • I lost my ID again.
  • I lost my debit card again. 
  • I got into my first car accident...I went the wrong way on a one-way street, attempted to make a sharp U-turn, and smashed into the field gates of an elementary school.
...This was all just in the span of January '13...and then further down the road of 2013 more problems accumulated, but at the end of the year I still remained to reflect on the positives in spite of it all. On that note, you and I may have had our drawbacks in the past year (ups and downs, thick and thin, rain and shine), what remained constant was knowing the little things in life were worth holding on to. Little things like ice cream.


“Blue Velvet – Fresh and organic vanilla bean ice cream with homemade blue velvet cupcakes topped with cream cheese frosting”


Ice Cream Lab's idea revolves around the molecular gastronomy cooking concent, utilizing liquid nitrogen as the style of preparation to instantly freeze different natural ingredients into ice cream.” (www.icecreamlab.com)
Ice Cream Lab's menu changes seasonally, the blue velvet will always stick around so go reward yourself with 5 ounces of the #1 ice cream for achieving all your goals for 2013! But if you are on the same boat as me in keeping resolutions and not updating your blog in a timely manner, then...go ahead and order the 16 ounce size because hopefully the awesomeness of the ice cream will inspire you to have a great start in 2014!

--C.H.

Follow Ice Cream Lab & shoutout @fooodisgoood 
Twitter: @LAIceCreamLab
Instagram: @LAIceCreamLab


*Edit Note: 16 oz. not 12 oz 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Food Should Be Good –

    I’m working with a start-up for food bloggers in Southern California called Tabelog (www.tabelog.us). They’re a subsidiary of the largest company in Japan Tabelog.com (similar to Yelp here in the US).

    We’re bringing their annual restaurant awards to the US that are judged solely by a panel of local food bloggers (all online). The winning restaurants get a framed 2014 award and the food bloggers get an “official judge” icon/etc and related PR for their blog. We’re looking for bloggers from the Southern California area to invite as an official judge. Is this something that you would be interested in? My direct contact is awards_losangeles@tabelog.us.
    Thanks in advance!
    Brock

    ReplyDelete