Wednesday, July 30, 2014

[Day 12] Don't be a Snob: Cucumber Ice Cream #20DaysofICECREAM

Special flavors change daily
As the Brown Paper roll is ripped & replenished
Some would say I have become kind of an ice cream snob. The other day someone offered me some store bought ice cream and I found out to be repulsive.

Naturally, when I visited à la minute, known for their handcrafted flavors made using the now infamous nitrogen liquid, I went with the quirkiest choice...the special of the day: Mint & Cucumber Custard topped with a finger lime simple syrup.

"Let me get the medium size," I cockily ordered.
"Are you sure you don't want the small just to try it out," the associate warned me.
"No, it's okay. I promise I will eat it all.."
"Okay, we can get you a different one if you end up not enjoying it."
"Don't worry, I can do it."


At this point you can take my presumptuous, self-proclaimed foodie title and throw it out the window. That cucumber stuff belongs on anything but ice cream. The flavor was comparable to cucumber facial masks. On that note, let's not try to pretend the cucumber and cream cheese sandwiches are the best part of tea time!

The syrup does nothing to strengthen the likability :(
Customer satisfaction is a high priority at à la minute, I was given the option to try another ice cream since I admitted defeat with the cucumber ice cream. I ended up with the Chocolate Lavender. The first spoonful gives your mouth an unusual reception of ice cream flavor. The lavender pierces through the chocolate and surprises the part of your brain that manages taste buds. After a couple more bites, the spiced chocolate flavor adapts to familiarize with the body and mind. Overall, it is just okay.

The Affogado is pretty neat for the coffee lovers out there! A scoop of vanilla bean ice cream floats atop à la minute's coffee beverage. My personal favorite is the Espresso Chip! Such a great texture mixed in with enjoyable crunchy cookie chips in every spoonful.

Although the Riverside location has been open since 2012, the Downtown Orange shop just opened this past June. For those further away from Beverly Hill's beloved Ice Cream Lab or Irvine's Creamistry, à la minute' definitely fills in the demand for liquid nitrogen ice cream for residents in LA's east side. 


--C.H.
Chocolate Lavender with liquid nitrogen brewing in the background
Espresso Chip
Affogato (Floating Ice Cream Scoop in Coffee)
For the Pretty Little Liar Fans out there
Downtown Orange Location
My Little Minions

à la minute
Handcrafted Ice Cream made with Frozen Liquid Nitrogen

117 N. Glassell Street
Orange, CA  92866

                &

19 E. Citrus Ave. #105
Redlands, CA 92373





Follow @FooodisGoood on Instagram
Tag #20DaysofICECREAM 

No comments:

Post a Comment